Happy new year, friends! 🥳 2020 was an absolutely horrible year for me, even though I did start up this blog to keep me occupied, and I am a very cynical person so I haven’t got any hopes for 2021 and haven’t set myself any goals.
However, while I’m not making any goals, I have decided to set some blogging guidelines for myself, in what is actually a pretty old idea. I had a blog manifesto for my previous blog, but that was made about six years ago and not only can I not remember what was on it, but the post is also now gone so I’ll never remember what it was.
Also, this GIF has nothing to do with my manifesto itself, it’s just the first thing that showed up when I searched for ‘manifesto’ in Giphy and is hilarious.
- My blog is my place to express myself and my feelings, and to share my thoughts, not those of other people.
- I will only read books that I really want to read and are books that I’m interested in, not what everyone else expects me to read.
- I will only review books and movies that I had a strong reaction to. Reviews of things that I thought were just okay aren’t fun to read or write.
- I will post what I want and when I want; a schedule is only a guideline, it’s not set in stone.
- I will not speak over people who come from marginalised groups that I am not a part of; when it is my time to speak about how something affects me, I will speak up, when it is not, I will amplify other voices.
- Real life will always come first – I’m allowed to take breaks for the sake of my health without explaining myself to other people.
- I will keep my nose out of unnecessary drama and negativity (this only applies to petty squabbling, not serious issues).
- I will always be open and honest with my opinions and sources – lying doesn’t accomplish anything and plagiarism is obviously wrong.
- I will not worry myself over statistics and follow counts – this is a hobby, not a job.
- I will not compare myself to other bloggers – what I have made out of my space online is just as admirable as someone who has thousands of followers.
talk to me!
Do you have a blogging manifesto? How do you make sure that blogging doesn’t become stressful for you?
I’m going to participate in the Discussion Challenge again this year! I don’t have any goals set in stone, but I’m still happy to be taking part 😀