what i’ve been up to
Hi friends! 👋🏻 I haven’t done a monthly recap in quite some time because I haven’t been up to much but after starting my job at the beginning of the month I’ve been a lot busier than I expected. I had a little more planned for Sci-Fi Month that I didn’t get around to posting, but I’m happy with what I did post, even if it was very movie heavy. Maybe next year I’ll try to focus more on books, but I’m not promising anything so far in advance.
As I’d said, I finally started my job on the first of November and I’ve never been happier. I was job hunting for almost four years after finishing my Masters degree so being able to land a job that I wanted has been a dream come true for me. I’m doing a library assistant apprenticeship so I get paid while studying and I’ll get a qualification and (hopefully) a full time position in 2023. A lot of the study aspects can be a little overwhelming because my field of expertise deals with subjectivity rather than objective facts, but the practical aspect is enjoyable. I’m still working on being able to use the phone because I have horrific phone anxiety and it tends to spike whenever it rings but that’s a work in progress.
Other than working and blogging, nothing much has been going on with me. I caught a cold my first week and then continued to go into the library while I was sick which probably isn’t a good idea since we’re still in a pandemic but taking my second week off sick wouldn’t have been a good look.
This past weekend we were hit by a storm which wasn’t exactly pleasant. Our house was okay for the most part but the roof tiles from our neighbours’ house blew off onto ours and now we have a hole in our roof, but they didn’t have electricity or hot water for a whole day so we came out of it better than them. There was also snow that caused a crapton of disruption to public transport because the UK is just never prepared for any kind of “extreme” weather whether that’s heat or cold.
I’m currently in the process of planning posts for December but it will be a lot chiller than November. I was considering taking the whole of December off but I’ll have some posts here and there so the entire month won’t be dead.
what i posted
- Get to Know the Sci-Fi Reader Tag
- My Favourite Sci-Fi Subgenres
- The Great Godzilla Movie Marathon: Part 1 – The Showa Series
- The Great Godzilla Movie Marathon: Part 2 – The Heisei Series
- Classic Sci-Fi on My TBR
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ is Important to Me
- The Great Godzilla Movie Marathon: Part 3 – The Millennium Series
- My Favourite Sci-Fi Movies
- The Great Godzilla Movie Marathon: Part 4 – The Reiwa Series
- The Great Godzilla Movie Marathon: Part 5 – The American Movies
what i read
- Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku vol. 5 by Fujita – – Am I becoming a simp for Hirotaka? Yes, I am. And I’m aware this isn’t sci-fi but shush.
- Supernova by Marissa Meyer – Currently reading – It’s taking me a while to get through this since I’ve only been reading on my commute 🤷🏻♀️
what i watched
- Godzilla vs. Mothra
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
- Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
- Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
- Godzilla 2000: Millennium
- Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
- Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
- Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
- Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
- Godzilla: Final Wars
- Shin Godzilla
- Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
- Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle
- Godzilla: The Planet Eater
- Godzilla, King of the Monsters!
- Gigantis, the Fire Monster!
- King Kong vs. Godzilla (US cut)
- Godzilla 1985
- Godzilla (1998)
- Godzilla (2014)
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters
- Godzilla vs. Kong
- Dune (2021) – I have no idea of what was going on but I enjoyed this. Also, Timothee Chalamet looks like my cousin and that weirded me out a little.
- Ghostbusters: Afterlife – No spoilers but the dedication at the end almost made me cry.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race UK – We now have three seasons of RuPaul making bullshit decisions.
- The Boulet Brothers’ Dragula –
- American Horror Story: Double Feature – I haven’t been feeling AHS since season 3 but hearing Macaulay Culkin say “it’s french for rubbing our dicks together” has made me a changed person.
books i got
- Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku vol. 5 by Fujita
- The Woods Are Always Watching by Stephanie Perkins
- Aurora’s End by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- Harrow Lake by Kat Ellis
this month’s favourites
📖 Favourite book: Uhh…
🎬 Favourite movie: Shin Godzilla, obviously! I reviewed it in my fourth Godzilla post so you can go there to see my thoughts in depth.
📺 Favourite TV show: Drag Race had a bullshit outcome (in my opinion) and I’ve been enjoying Dragula a lot more. I haven’t been watching a lot of TV lately so it’s pretty easy to pick.
🎵 Favourite song: I’ve listened to pretty much nothing but Slipknot for months after getting back into them (I haven’t listened to them since I was 12) so it’s hard to pick one favourite song but some I have on repeat are: Killpop, Custer, Psychosocial, Eyeless, The Shape, Left Behind, and Duality (but especially Duality for nostalgia’s sake).
📑 Favourite thing I did: Starting my job! I’ve wanted to work in libraries since I was 11 years old, so I’ve enjoyed being able to finally do it.
talk to me!
How was your November?